About Me

My photo
Human, mother, wife, home educator, learner, photographer, writer, reader, mind reader, critic, defender, champion.

Friday 22 January 2010

Memories #1

I've been scanning lots of old photographs recently. My nan is something of a hoarder, which has brought both delight and misery.



I found this letter with a postmark of 1957 when my dad was seven years old. I've left the spelling mistakes in because it's sweeter that way. I know that my dad broke his arm at around this age so I imagine he may have had to stay in hospital. Unfortunately, there's nobody left to ask. Dad is dead. Grandad is dead. Nan has dementia. It's hard to imagine that my dad was ever so vulnerable, that he was once the age of my own young son....

Dear mother and father
Please buy me a model Air-craft or nelsen ship. I'm getting on all right. It is nise here but I'm still afraid. I wish I coude go home but I can't. hope you are well.
Love from Sammy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment